It is high time to select the leading topic for the 5th Data Innovation Summit that will be held at the university of Brussels on June 26th, 2019.
Most of you liked our new location and our partnership with Icity.brussels , also the timing end of June was perceived as the ideal moment to do a team event just before the holidays start.
Now that we have demystified A.I. I suggest that we focus on “How AI can save our humanity” or “Being Human in the age of AI”:
Ensuring that AI serves the public good requires the public to know how the platforms are deploying these technologies and how they shape the flow of information through the web today. However, as many others have pointed out, the level of transparency and accountability around these decisions has been limited, and we’re seeking ideas that help to raise it. This might be new policies in the form of draft legislation, or technical tools that help keep an eye on the information ecosystem.
I propose that the plenary presentations should be talking about:
- AI serves the public good
- Create an ethics and standards toolkit for using AI
- Promote accountability in the use of AI
- AI and Justice
- AI and qualitative information
- How we can build AI to help humans, not hurt us
- Artificial intelligence (AI) in the news ecosystem
- How to get empowered, not overpowered by AI
- How do we make artificial intelligence work for unique community needs and cultural contexts
- Can we build AI without losing control over it ?
- Principles of creating a safer A.I.
- Being human in the age of AI
- How AI can enhance our memory, work and social lives.
I must admit I got inspired by the Ethics and Governance of AI Initiative, a hybrid research effort and philanthropic fund that seeks to ensure that technologies of automation and machine learning are researched, developed, and deployed in a way that vindicate social values of fairness, human autonomy and justice.
Let’s find a good title for the event first and meet early next year to discuss how we want to organise dis2019.